Optional text book
- Designing Web Graphics.2
- By Lynda Weinman, New Riders Publishing , February 1997.
- ISBN number 1-56205-669-7
- 446 pages
- The semi-official text book for this course. The writing style is specific without getting overly technical, and there are lots of screen grabs for doing things like loading palettes using Photoshop, Corel Photopaint 6, and Paint Shop Pro. It incorporates all of the important stuff from her book "Coloring Web Graphics" too. Not required, but highly recommended.
[ http://www.lynda.com/dwg2/ ]
Some additional sources--recommended but not required. Let me know if you have any additional suggestions.
- Tips, tools and tutorials on all the latest web toys and browser tricks, brought to you by the gang at Hotwired. Highly recommended.
[ http://www.hotwired.com/webmonkey/ ]
- High Five
- David Siegel, graphic designer, web pundit and author of the book "Creating Killer Web Sites" first became famous online for a weekly web design column he wrote for Web Review. He has revived his famous "High Five" awards for web design excellence as an online magazine featuring reviews, columns and interviews with prominent web designers.
- [ http://www.highfive.com/ ]
- adobemag online
This online periodical is a great source for articles on digital online design and publishing. The articles are in Adobe PDF, so you will need the Acrobat Reader to view them.
[ http://www.adobe.com/publications/adobemag/main.html ]
- Web Review
- The "Design Studio" section, and the "Web Addict" and "Web Architect" columns in this weekly feature reviews and brief tutorials on the latest web design capabilities, usually with less technical detail than articles on the same topic in Webmonkey (see above).
[ http://webreview.com/wr/pub ]
Other Web Resources
Adobe Tips and Techniques
This is a great source for tipsand tricks for using Adobe software, particularly Photoshop and Illustrator. The articles are in Adobe PDF, so you will need the Acrobat Reader to view them.
[ http://www.adobe.com/studio/tipstechniques/main.html ]
- Paint Shop Pro Tips and Tricks
- A good starting place for beginning users of the JASC Paint Shop Pro graphics program.
- [ http://psptips.com/ ]
- This page offers subscription info for the PHOTOSHP mailinglist. E-mail subscribers share tips on using, troubleshooting, and creating whiz-bang effects with Photoshop software. Expect word on the latest plug-ins, online tutorial sources, new features, and an occasional tip from the people who created Photoshop--Adobe does not sponsor this list, but they do follow it.
[ http://www.sc.edu/deis/PHOTOSHP/ ]
- Webmonkey Subject Index
- Archive of all articles that have appeared in Webmonkey, searchable by subject. There are some great tutorials on a variety of web design topics to be found here. This page also gives you a link to the
Web Monkey Teaching Tool, a handy and well-organized series of HTML tutorials.
[ http://www.hotwired.com/webmonkey/reference/subject.html ]